Rajahmundry or Rajamahendri is the biggest city of the East & West Godavari districts and first municipal corporation in the Godavari districts of Andhra Pradesh state in India.
Poet Nannayya gave Telugu script here which made it a language.
It is known as cultural capital of Andhra Pradesh as it has a rich cultural past with a flourishing present and a promising future. The population is 6,13,347 (agglomeration 7,08,341) (2006 census).
Its original name being Raja Mahendri or Raja Mahendravaram, it was the first capital of many known Telugu Kingdoms.
The Chalukya ruler Rajaraja Narendra ruled this city around 1022. The city has traces of 11th century fine palaces and fort walls. However, new archeological evidence suggests that the city may have existed far before the Chalukyas. The original name underwent a gradual metamorphosis with the name changed to Rajahmundry during the British rule.
Kambala Tank, Sri Kambham Narasinga Rao Pantulu , who worked as Huzur Sheristadar in the Rajamahendri District Collectorate during the period 1845-52, dug the tank, now called Kambala Tank and constructed Kambham choultry from his own pocket. These two are being managed by the Municipality.
Government Arts College, constructed in 1853. It is located in between Kotipalli Bus stand and Rajahmundry railway station. The new buildings for the Government Arts college (located Near Y Junction) were constructed in 1953 and was opened by Dr.M.V.Krishna Rao, the then Madras Education minister and an old student of the college.
The Museum Hall, was constructed in 1857 . At present the Municipal Revenue office is functioning in this beautiful hall.
Birth-House of SRI VEERASALINGAM, was constructed by his grand-father. Sri Veersalingam, We can find his personal belongings. The house was declared as Ancient Monument by the State Archaeology Dept. and maintaining a Research Library. His wife, Rajyalakshmi had started the first women library in the state.
HAVLOCK BRIDGE, The first Railway Bridge which was named after HAVLOCK, the then Governor of Madras was constructed during the period 1897-1900. On the completion of Century of service, the railway condemned.
There are a number of temples here and the Kotilingala temple on the bank of the Godavari is one of the most important temples. The Godavari Pushkarams celebrated once in Twelve years, attracts a large number of pilgrims from all over the country and world. At a distance of seven kilometers south of Rajahmundry, there is the Dowleswaram anicut across the Godavari.